Apologies for the brief absence. Jasper had a million sicknesses back to back… roseola, pneumonia, bronchitis, and a suspected inhaled green pea. Then we decided it was time to buy a home. So there is that, which I’ll talk about another time.
Needless to say, I’ve fallen off the radar in several parts of my life. I’m really just now getting back into the “work” rhythm. During that time while my son was sick and I was taking care of the new home situation, I had even less time to deliberate what I should wear. Comfort and simplicity became the gold standard to which I dressed. And oddly enough that entailed a lot of sweatpants, to which I’ve found are the “it” piece of the season as almost every retailer has their version of the trendy sweatpant.
If you’re nervous about wearing sweatpants and looking like you gave up on life. Don’t be nervous. Sure, wearing the most comfortable pants in the universe can be a slippery slope to not trying to be stylish at all, ever. But trust me, it doesn’t take much to dress them up without trying too hard, or not hard enough. (Whatever that means).
So here is what I learned:
1. Wear Fitted Sweatpants: Be careful that your sweatpants aren’t too baggy. There are so many great pairs out there from the Target Mossimo brand, to Madewell/J Crew and still the originator of fancy sweatpants, T by Alexander Wang. Try different styles to see what is most flattering for you.
2. Wear a Jacket: Whether it’s a blazer, a trench or even a denim jacket. Pairing you sweats with a crisp jacket makes all the difference. This one, sent by Mother Denim, is somehow both oversized and fitted. I know, because I bought an oversized denim jacket at Zara that definitely feels bulky.
3. Pair with a Button Down Shirt: If you wear sweatpants with a sweatshirt, you’re definitely going towards sloth. Not everyone can look as cool as Debbie Harry in the combo. To dress things up a bit wear a nice cashmere sweater or a button down top.
4. Wear nice flats or heels. Some people can do well with sneakers and sweats. Heck, even I do it from time to time. But it’s a fine line between stylish and sloth when you do the sneakers and sweats. Switch it out with a nice pair of flats, or even if you have the inclination, try with a pair of heels.
5. Throw on a Statement Accessory: Right now I’ve been loving pearls. Found this Jarin K double pearl earring that are a statement without being overbearing.
Have you tried the sweatpant trend yet? What are your tips for styling?
Wearing: Sweats & Top: JCrew • Denim Jacket: Mother (gift) • Shoes: Jenni Kayne • Bag: Proenza Schouler • Sunglasses: Celine • Earring: Jarin K
Photo by Lissa Jokinen